Friday, March 10, 2006

George Eliot Country

I've never had any interest in visiting Nuneaton or Coventry, but now that I know this part of England is called 'George Eliot Country' I am a little tempted.

Apparantly both towns are filled with Eliot memorials. There's a local hospital sporting her name (where the wards are supposedly named after the characters that filled her books - how charming), a giant statue of her hulking over Nuneaton's pedestrianised shopping mall and - something that really tickled my fancy - a pub where you can down a pint in her honour!

If you want to find out more, I highly recommend this website, which provides a wealth of information, including photographs of real life locations that were important to Eliot and featured in many of the books she wrote. And, if you're really keen and fancy a trip to the UK, Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council is organising special guided coach tours in the summer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Isabella K said...

I wasn't aware of the George Eliot connection to that part of the world. My parents lived in Coventry (met there, married there, my brother and sister were born there) for more than 10 years before moving to Canada; so I've often thought if ever I get to England again (I vacationed in London once, many years ago), I'd like to visit Coventry and environs. Now I know what pub I'll head to.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Isabella, it sounds like you were destined to read this book then! You should find out which hospital your siblings were born in - it could well have been The George Eliot Hospital. :)

PS> Thanks for putting link in sidebar !

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home