Monday, March 06, 2006

Spoil me once, shame on me...

Er.

Since everybody is going to be reading at different rates (and some have read it before!) can we have a bit of policy-hashing here regarding spoilers?

I don't want to be giving things away in advance, obviously. We could put the word "spoilers" in the title (which strikes me as somewhat inelegant...). We could put "Chapter Whatever" in the title, so folks would know not to read the post if they hadn't read up to that chapter. We could put the body of the post under the fold (can you do that in Blogger? I haven't figured out how yet). We could just not sweat it, and know that we're reading other people's posts and comments at our own risk.

Preferences? Suggestions?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...I don't know how to post "under the fold" in blogger either. Maybe just put SPOILER Chapter whatever in the subject line and then leave a few grace lines so people can get out if they so wish?

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I think either idea (put in 'spoiler' or the chapter number) would work fine. I'm going to be generally behind, but I'm also not too bothered by spoilers, and I realized from a post of Rachel's that I've actually seen Middlemarch. But all I remember about it is Rusfus Sewell. So I'm good.

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the idea of "Spoiler" or the chapter number inserted in the title line, too.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Isabella K said...

I've never used "under the fold." I do remember a Blogger blog that used it, but I'm having trouble deciphering the code. Maybe someone else can figure it out? I can send you the url for an example if you're good at that kind of thing.

I think we'll have to operate on a mostly caveat lector basis. Chapter numbers are great! A "spoiler" heading could help too, but remember that not all spoilers are equal and they're often in the eye of the beholder.

I apologize in advance — I'm notoriously bad for spoiling. Once something's in my consciousness I have trouble discerning whether or not it's the sort of thing someone wouldn't to hear about. But I'll try to be extra careful.

I also hate having things "spoiled" for me (Rachel!), but I'm using that as extra incentive to get cracking.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, "Chapter Whatever" sounds good. Are we all reading on approximately the same schedule? I'm planning on 1 or 2 chapters a week, will that put me woefully behind?

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home