Wednesday, March 08, 2006

UPDATED: So let us begin

with Book 1 (chapters 1 through 12), posting thereon to begin Wednesday, March 15. Let's try to follow the natural breaks and aim for a book a week, with discussions opening on Wednesdays (yes, I changed my mind).

Dates have been listed in the sidebar.

(as opposed to, as previously suggested:)

with chapters 1 through 10, posting thereon to begin Tuesday, March 14.

Subsequent blocks of 10 chapters will be tabled for discussion each Tuesday to follow. Once tabled, material will remain open, all posts, comments, questions welcome; that is, not limited to the chapters of the week but can (should!) include all chapters to that point.

If you're reading ahead, please refrain from posting on, or referring to, those chapters until the set date. (I'll try to list dates in the side bar.) If you're behind, please look to post titles and headings and your own best judgment to ensure the book's not spoiled for you.

Let's give it a couple weeks, see if it's easy reading or hard slogging, if there are more natural breaks to work by, if we develop a group rhythm, etc.

In the meantime, and at any time, feel free to post on topics of a more general nature: quotations, background material, related articles...

7 Comments:

Blogger Isabella K said...

Um. My edition not having a table of contents, I didn't realize till now how evenly Middlemarch is divided into books. The first has 12 chapters; the last book is biggest; but all the rest have 11 chapters or less.

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sooo, which is it?

I strongly recommend getting to the end of "Miss Brooke", just because chapter ten presents you with a whole mess of new characters and the inability to sort which are going to be important. The next two chapters bring that into sharper relief.

But is twelve chapters a lot for folks to read in one week? I thought the plan had been more like five?

11:21 AM  
Blogger JoanneMarie Faust said...

I read the first four chapters last night. It makes sense to read the entire first part, especially if it's only an additional two chapters from the original 10 suggested. I'm sure I can get through them before Tuesday. It really does make a lot of sense to cover a book at a time.

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the idea of a book at a time - in my edition each 'book' is around 100 pages...

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A book a week? I could have managed it well about 1.5 years ago.

I don't think I can keep up with that schedule now because things are just too busy here.

If that's the schedule, I certainly will do my best.

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the schedule - although whether I keep up with it or not remains to be seen - but think it's useful to have a goal to work towards. Nice also to think I could have this book read in 8 weeks!! :)

11:51 AM  
Blogger Raehan said...

Good plan! I finished my homework. Will read more Middlemarch tonight.

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home