Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Schedule

I've posted a schedule in the sidebar. The sections are a little uneven in length, but it seemed best to follow the big breaks than to count pages or even chapters.

I've broken the text into books and parts according to the Dunnigan edition I'm reading.

The sections are labelled a little differently in the online text (tr Maude); the corresponding breakdown is roughly as follows:
Book 1 (28 chapters; my edition has this in 25 chapters!?)
Books 2 (21 chapters) & 3 (19 chapters)
Books 4 (16 chapters) & 5 (22 chapters, although my book goes to chapter 21; the online chapter 22 is incorporated into the first chapter of my edition's next part)
Books 6 (26 chapters), 7 (13 chapters) & 8 (22 chapters)
Books 9 (23 chapters) & 10 (39 chapters)
Book 11 (34 chapters)
Books 12 (16 chapters) & 13 (19 chapters)
Books 14 (19 chapters) & 15 (20 chapters)
Epilogues 1 & 2

It seems so daunting to count chapters, but many of them are in fact very tiny.

Let's see how the first couple weeks go; we can slow it down a bit if need be.

5 Comments:

Blogger Raehan said...

Ack. I just ordered my copy tonight. Will have to read fast. ; )

11:27 PM  
Blogger mattviews said...

OMG I better hurry up, I only managed 50 pages yesterday. :)

10:25 AM  
Blogger Isabella K said...

I think you're ahead of me, Matt.

I got sidetracked with the reference to Pierre as a Jacobin, and the duke of Enghien and the 18th Brumaire and the prisoners of Africa. Huh? While I have a vague sense of history, really I know nothing. So I've been reading up on peri-Revolutionary France and the rise of Napoleon. I don't know if this background if further elaborated upon in W&P and if so, how far along — guess I should keep reading.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Karen G. said...

I just finished reading A Tale of Two Cities so the French Revolution is fresh in my mind. I'm fuzzy on the exact history, though, and I'm not sure exactly how Napolean fits into this exactly. Amazing how little I learned in school...

3:17 PM  
Blogger mattviews said...

Isabella:

I'm on p.91, still in Part 1. The background in French Revolution would help with the passing comments the characters make in the novel, but not a prerequisite to understand the novel.

I get side-tracked too, trying to manage with all the names. So many princesses and princes! :) A geneaology chart would help!

First impression of this reading is the meaning of a man's soul - the tension between one's free will and fate; sort of like if you're put into the position, you have decide whether this is really your passion or merely because it's expected of you.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home