Saturday, June 10, 2006

War! What is it good for?

War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy.

Sorry for delaying in making this announcement, but I've been busy, and lazy. But there you have it: War and Peace. "This panoramic study of early 19th-century Russian society, noted for its mastery of realistic detail and variety of psychological analysis, is generally regarded as one of the world's greatest novels." "Often called the greatest novel ever written, War and Peace is at once an epic of the Napoleonic Wars, a philosophical study, and a celebration of the Russian spirit."

As Rachel has made clear, it's vital to read both the war and peace sections; skipping over the war bits will just confuse you.

Discussion of the first manageable chunk is tentatively set to open on July 5. (The text apparently is divided into 15 books plus 2 epilogues — the schedule for discussion will likely follow these breaks. Other suggestions are welcome.)

I do not have a copy in my possession but will rectify this shortly. (The text is available online.) Within the next week or two I will post a schedule.

Also, I will be updating the list of contributors. If you'd like to be included, leave a comment or send me an email. I will be contacting those of you who participated in the discussion of Middlemarch or who expressed an interest in the next selection to confirm your status.

In the meantime, feel free to share your thoughts on this selection as well as any resources on the novel, Tolstoy, or the historical background.

Read on!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll read it! I'll read it!!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Raehan said...

Woo-hoo!

What's peace without war anyway?

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woot!

Napoleon has been on my mind a lot lately anyway...

1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to give this a shot :)

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good choice. I plan on reading! I suspect I may fall behind (though will try and keep up) like I did with Middlemarch, but I will finish it!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Amanda Roper said...

Wow! Sign me up! I loved Anna Karenina so hopefully this one will be as wonderful!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Karen G. said...

I'd like to join in. I've been looking for a discussion group reading something classic (it's so much more fun that way).

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count me in, even though I'm crazy to take on War and Peace and a major move at the same time, I know. I just ordered the book and I'll try to keep up! Like Danielle, I didn't always keep up with Middlemarch but it didn't seem to matter; I eventually got caught up and finished in time so we'll see how this goes!

12:09 PM  
Blogger JoanneMarie Faust said...

I'm in, too. Does anyone know of a particularly good translation? Or, a particularly bad one to avoid? I remember reading somewhere that a modernized translation was available, but I don't know if this would be a mistake, and if not, where I would find it.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am looking at Moscow 1812 by Adam Zamoyski and Natasha's Dance by Orlando Figes by way of augmenting background. There's also a book called Life on the Russian Country Estate (approx title) by Priscilla Roosevelt that has some great illustrations of 19th century Russian country houses, maybe a bit late for W&P but good anyway for landscape.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Oh, can I play? Or at least watch from the bench? I'd love to try to read this book and I know it would be amazing to read it with such a wonderful group of ladies. Please?

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home