Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Schedule

I've posted a schedule in the sidebar, its main purpose being to focus discussion on specific sections and prevent spoiling plot and character developments for your fellow readers.

The date cited is the day on which posting and discussion opens for the indicated chapters.

I've used my French edition as a cue for a few of the breaks, as some academics have deemed it appropriate to interrupt the text in these places with scholarly articles and other supplementary material. The remainder of the breaks I've determined solely on the basis of page count.

I will be away November 22–29 and may or may not have internet access during that time, but I certainly intend to read while away. Section discussions now open on Mondays (a change from previous discussions, to accommodate my little vacation so I won't miss a full section). Also, I've stretched one section over 2 weeks at the end of December as I expect both reading and discussion may slow a little around Christmas.

I'll be digging around for some background material to post over the next couple weeks. Feel free to do same, introduce yourselves, post some initial thoughts on Stendhal or The Red and the Black, why you're reading it or what you've heard about it.

Happy reading!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that it looks like a nice slow schedule.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

It is a good, steady schedule that I hope I'll be able to handle. I printed out a version from PG and have it all organized in a binder with sticky notes, etc. (I know, I know....overly nerdy. Can't help myself.)

Heather
www.thelibraryladder.blogspot.com

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, no nerds! This club for reading meaty 19th century novels is for cool kids only!

(Kidding. Never apologize for being nerdy. I can nerd you under the table, woman!)

2:42 PM  
Blogger Isabella K said...

Oh, good grief, I'm surrounded by nerds! I suspect this makes me nerdy by association.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes... "surrounded." "By association." Whatever gets you through the day, hon. ;-)

(I'm sorry! I seem to be in smartass mode, and we haven't even started officially reading yet. I have started unofficially reading on my own, my old college copy complete with underlinings, and so far the book is completely unfamiliar to me. Underlined some interesting bits, though...)

8:00 PM  
Blogger Isabella K said...

Nerds and smartasses, I'm a magnet for them. Seriously though, I think smartassery is nertitude's perfect complement for reading group success.

I'm very excited and proud of myself for reading in French — I am SO bilingual (she asserts, till she reads the English version and learns what the story is really about).

11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to read each chapter first in English and then in French. I'm looking forward to it!

I've been amassing large quantities of books (mostly Bookmooch) and trying to read them all and I'm feeling fractured and frazzled. I plan to clear the decks and read only TRATB, with the possible exception of one light, easy read alongside it, and really try to focus.

(And I'm both a nerd and a smartass, if it matters.)

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know that didn't take my url:

http://dianahiggins.com/diaphanous
(Diaphanous in the sidebar)

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, can I join in? My own book club would never take on a title like this (too long, too classic). I read it in French when I was in college and I'd love to read it again...in English since a) I don't remember most of college and b) Did I study French?

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home